12.22.2008

Marian Ginger Cookies


 When I was a kid, we were Methodist - I met the Lord in the Methodist church.  He was joyfully represented to our small group of pre-teens by Miss Marian, the pastor's wife (really a Mrs., of course). She was so good to all of us - she listened to us, responded as if we made perfect sense, laughed at our jokes and took us seriously. Now having taught in the public schools and mothering pre-teens of my own, I see how much of a ministry this really was! The pre-teen years are at the peak of goofy, nonsensical, awkward weirdness.  How did she do it?? It was the pure grace of God's love flowing from a person who was serving Him with her whole heart! I'm thanking Him for putting Miss Marian in my life, and I pray that He will send like servants into the lives of my sons. 

And He said to them, The harvest indeed is abundant [there is much ripe grain], but the farmhands are few. Pray therefore the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest. Luke 10:2
The recipe is not really a Christmas cookie - I got it from Miss Marian during a summer gathering. It was her signature cookie. They are holiday-pretty with a crackly sugar outside, and soft spicy inside. They are a tradition for our Christmas, or any other really special occasion. 

Marian Ginger Cookies
2 c. flour
1 t. soda
1/2 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. ginger
1/2 t. cloves
1 c. sugar
1 egg
1/2 c. oil
1/4 c. molasses
Mix sugar, egg, oil and molasses by hand until well blended.  Mix together dry ingredients, then combine with the wet mixture to make a stiff dough. Form into walnut sized balls then roll in sugar before placing on a lightly greased cookie sheet.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 8-10 minutes. Cookies are done when they are cracked nicely and barely browned on top.  The more "done" the cookie gets, the harder it will be.  These are best slightly undercooked for moist and soft cookies.

1 comment:

  1. I've never been too fond of gingersnaps, but a nice soft ginger cookie always hits the spot! With artery clogging whole milk, of course... :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to send your thoughts my way. I love to hear from you!