3.10.2009

Please, Not Tree Trimmers

I want my sons to have jobs they truly love - careers that fulfill their calling in the Kingdom. We tell them that they should try to have a job that they would love to do even if there was no paycheck. This is a high ambition, and would be seeking for a rare blessing.  I don't know anyone, or only two, who right now would describe their situation in this way. We struggle along as we try to coach them in the planning of their lives, very shortly ahead, as men of the house - providers for their families. We know that they are called, as are we all, to "make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands, just as we commanded you.." 1 Thess. 4:11  Also, I know for sure that they are called to fulfill the great commission: "And He said to them, 'Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.'" Mk. 16:15  These scriptures do not seem to be directing our Young Men toward SELF-fulfilling goals - happy job, being the owner/boss, making plenty of money for your family, being recognized for your abilities.... OK, so now I have to revise the coaching - revising is not new over here!

But Please Lord, don't let them become tree trimmers!!!  The photo above is from The Farmer's Wife, showing some tree butchering along her rural roads. The road that I have to drive to get to the expressway, and therefore, to get anywhere, had its trees recently "trimmed", and this is very much how they look. And even worse - many trimmed in completely nonsensical ways - why didn't they just drop the whole tree?? I'm heartsick as I drive along. This will seem irrational to many of you who do not feel emotionally attached to familiar trees, but I know there will be some who can identify with me. The branches are so hacked - it just makes me think of amputation and mutilation. The shapes of the trees, the sort of bark they have, the habit of the various species...I weirdly pay attention to all of these things, and yes, I have my favorite trees along the road. If you pass a driver who is squinting, then it's me, trying NOT to see the trees that have been recently "trimmed".

In the quiet moment this Sunday, when your pastor recognizes all who have "unspoken requests", please raise your hand for me - I must need some sort of counseling! But, really, I will be deeply distressed, angry and maybe even ashamed if I see any of my sons on the Tree Disfiguring Crew!

2 comments:

  1. I'm not kidding Ben and I just commented on this on the way to his parents' house a few days ago. Why don't they just take the whole tree if they're going to just leave one sad little branch sticking out? If it drives him nuts it must be pretty bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you are saying... they just did that to a bunch of trees around here and the poor trees look so bad.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to send your thoughts my way. I love to hear from you!