8.18.2009

The Last Piece of Birthday Cake


When the cake is gone, your birthday is over! This special cake, originally my aunt's recipe, is only made once a year - on my birthday! I like to make it myself, though for a few years My Dear Husband and my boys made it for me. Now I insist that I enjoy making it for myself - and I do! It's a more complicated recipe than I will usually work on, but the result is worth it. I'm not sure who will get this piece, but it won't be me, since I had  more  than my share.
Orange Crunch Cake
Crunch Layer: 1 c. graham cracker crumbs, 1/2 c. firmly packed brown sugar, 1/2 c. chopped walnuts, 1/2 c. melted margarine or butter
Cake: 1 pkg. yellow cake mix, 1/2 c. water, 1/2 c. orange juice, 1/3 c. oil, 3 eggs, 2 T. grated orange peel
Frosting: 1 can ready to spread vanilla frosting, 1 c. thawed whipped topping, 3 T. grated orange peel, 1 t. grated lemon peel

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 9" round cake pans. In small bowl, combine crunch layer ingredients until crumbly. Press half of crunch mixture into each prepared pan. In large bowl, blend cake ingredients at low speed until moistened; beat 2 minutes at highest speed. Pour batter evenly over crunch layer. Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool ten minutes then remove from pan. Cool completely.  In small bowl, beat frosting ingredients until fluffy. Fold in grated orange and lemon peel. Place one layer, crunch side up, on serving plate and spread with frosting. Top with remaining layer (crunch side up) and spread top and sides with remaining frosting. Store in refrigerator.  
(I put the crunch layers on the bottom, you can see from the photo...)

For more Wordful Wednesday photos, go to Angie's Seven Clown Circus!

12 comments:

  1. Happy (belated) birthday! (Mine's coming up soon too....!)
    Janice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so yummy! My b-day is coming up; maybe I should try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers for another wonderful year and that cake sure looks yummy! I have a dear friend named Anna Belle and have always loved the name.
    Happy Twirls

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy! Thanks for stopping by my site!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum!!!!! Cake!!! I just might have to try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday! And the cake looks great. I'm printing off your recipe as it looks scrumptious.....

    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness that sounds and looks so good! (I'm a sucker for anything orange!) Very kind of you to share the recipe too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH my does that look GOOD! I'm guessing you did not save the last piece for me, huh? Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That cake looks delicious! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you had a wonderful birthday.
    That cake looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to send your thoughts my way. I love to hear from you!