9.09.2009

Free Flowers


Oh, the glorious fullness of summer container gardens! Last year, I loaded all my containers with spare perennials from the flower beds, hoping to cut down on the cost of annuals when spring came around. This plan worked, the perennials made it through the winter, except in the case of this set of washtubs at the front of the house. All its perennials died over the winter, maybe because I poked evergreen branches in there for a winter display. So this spring, I thought I had a blank slate to work with - nothing but dirt...


EXCEPT FOR some tiny seedlings that looked like annual salvia coming up all over the tub soil! I love something for free, so I planted some annuals around those little babies, doubting they would really develop into full grown plants. Now, at the end of the growing season, ALL those huge purply-pink and red salvia are volunteers from last summer! How nice is that?

For more Wordful Wednesday photos, go to Angie's Seven Clown Circus!

17 comments:

  1. Oooo, that's VERY nice! I think I'd like to do something like that next spring! Very pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They came out beautiful! I kill everything (plant-wise) I touch so this is a treat for me to see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for hopping over! I am grabbing your button!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so beautiful, and I particularly like the morning glory climbing the house. I love morning glories! I popped over from Betsy's to say hi. Apparently you, me and Betsy were childhood sweethearts (I met hubby when I was 14 - married at 18 and nearly 31 years later, still VERY happy together). Also we raised 3 boys. I guess we should start a club. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there, do you have any little girl aprons right now?

    ReplyDelete
  6. How pretty! Everyone else's flowers seem to get so pretty by the end of the season. I sort of have an opposite kind of thing happening here. I lose my ambition to actually go outside and pick up the hose by the beginning of August and come mid-August, it sort of looks like the Addams Family lives here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Better late than never.... I just ordered five in a row. yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a beautiful, lush display, and all the nicer because most of it was free!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to send your thoughts my way. I love to hear from you!