9.21.2009

I Didn't Die...


Thanks to Holly for starting these wonderful Hyacinth Bean vines for me back in the spring! They are so lovely, with sweetpea-like sprays of purple flowers. Hummingbirds love them - since this vine is right outside my kitchen window, I've been watching the little birds perch on the sturdy stems for a little bit of rest every now and then. When the flowers mature, they form the coolest purple pod, which I thought for a few years was edible. It wasn't very tasty, so I didn't go out to the garden to get rid of hunger pangs or anything like that, but I ate a few as I walked along. One horrified friend informed me that the pods are poisonous, but I checked it out and internet "experts" are undecided. Certainly I didn't die, and neither did all these people who steamed, stir-fried, or boiled them for their dinner. Yet, many are still cautious about eating them. I haven't had any myself, since Horrified Friend gave me Severe Warnings when I plucked one and ate it while chatting with her on her porch. How nice to have a friend who cares!

6 comments:

  1. Can you come plant some sweetannabelleness in my yard? I love seeing your pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! I'm allergic to hyacinth bulbs...go figure.

    About Mars Hill, we were there for his introduction to the book of Luke...AWESOME! We're excited about the series, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you didn't die! This is beautiful. I have no idea whether it is edible or not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh! I think Ben's mom has these growing up the beam on her porch. It's so beautiful! You have to sort of squeeze by them to get onto the porch. Kind of like entering an enchanted garden or something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I'm glad you didn't die! :)
    I've never heard of this plant...it's beatiful! I love any flowering plant that can climb...very charming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful plant. I have never seen it before today.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to send your thoughts my way. I love to hear from you!