10.19.2009

Brotherly Love?


When my boys were little, they LOVED each other. Fond smiles, caring pats and sheltering hugs were part of their daily relationship - as well as angry swats, sneaky shoves and bratty gestures. But still, along with the nasty was the nice! They weren't inhibited at all about demonstrating either back then.

As they've grown into almost-men, they've left the nice far behind and rarely are seen even fondly smiling at one another. I miss that for them (and myself), but society does have its way with our boys as they grow, even if immediate family ways contradict.

That's what makes this picture so much fun! Did I happen to snap a photo of brotherly love? Sort of ... not really. It was during an exciting game of family b-ball that this happened. The hug is really just another funny way to get the ball away from the brother and back into play. But, for me, it was also a reminder of those milder times. One of those glimpses I am treated to, as my sons grow into men, of the little guys they used to be.



2 comments:

  1. That's a wonderful photo! My sons are 30 & 32 and seldom show physical affection to one another. But over the past ten years or so I've definitely seen the "nice" creep back into their relationship. A pat on the arm, a kind word, a lending hand...it's so heartwarming to see that between them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My boys are just the same. I'm hoping that they will start to be 'nice' again as they become more mature and lose the 'age difference' thing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to send your thoughts my way. I love to hear from you!