11.06.2009

Monkey Bread

This breakfast treat is a family favorite, saved only for special occasions. Recently, on My Oldest Son's birthday, this was what he was willing to wait for as his choice for special breakfast - Monkey Bread. A dear friend during high school and college taught me to make this sweet bread, and we ate more than our fair share during those years. I carried the recipe into marriage and then into motherhood, and my guys get excited when I get out the bundt pan! hahahaha
We were all shocked to see this in the freezer section, actually called "Monkey Bread" - how could this obviously homemade wonder be in the freezer case in a box??

MONKEY BREAD
In a pan, melt together and stir occasionally:
1 stick butter or margarine
3/4 cup brown sugar
Then, in a separate bowl, combine:
2 tubes of biscuits, each biscuit cut into quarters
3/4 cup of granulated sugar
cinnamon to taste
Dump melted mixture over the sugared biscuit pieces and stir to combine gently. Don't over stir, since the biscuit pieces will lose their shape.
Bake at 350 degrees in a well-greased bundt pan until the top looks nicely browned - around 30 minutes or so. Allow to cool just a few minutes, then turn the bread out onto a greased plate, or a plate covered with wax paper. (just to save scrubbing ... for those of us surviving without dishwashers)
As soon as it's cooled enough, you can dig in!
Enjoy!

(Some I know add nuts to this - yum!)

5 comments:

  1. ben's family introduced me to monkey bread and it's ben's favorite, but we usually have it for dessert. We also only have it for special occassions and about once a year I make it with the family yeast roll recipe. i mean to tell you that you've never put anything like that in your mouth. Just imagine a hot, homemade yeast roll covered in sugar and butter and cinnamon. It's stupid good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh....I'm SO making this for my family this weekend! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that comment - "stupid good!"

    I'm thinking this will be a great breakfast Christmas morning. Or even a late Christmas Eve supper. Maybe I'll even try to make some yeast rolls. Nah, might be beyond my abilities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this stuff, but I only make it when I have plenty of people to eat it up!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to send your thoughts my way. I love to hear from you!