11.24.2009

Setting Out Bulbs


Putting bulbs in the fall is like giving yourself a gift. Especially for me, since I tend to forget everything about the garden beds over the course of the fall and winter, spring flowers are always a wonderful, colorful surprise!
My Wonderful Husband is also my Yard Man - glory to God! He takes over the tasks that require extended bending, crouching and/or reaching, all in the interest of my freaky back problems. (Thank You, Yard Man!) So, after puzzling about which end is supposed to be UPward facing*, and consulting the bag and tag, he placed them in a 4 inch trench.
Aren't they full of promise and hope? That something so dry and dead looking will eventually produce beautiful blue spring blooms - now that's amazing!
"...the basic reality of God is plain enough. Open your eyes and there it is! By taking a long and thoughtful look at what God has created, people have always been able to see what their eyes as such can't see: eternal power, for instance, and the mystery of his divine being." Romans 1:20 
The sign is likely to be trampled by men or eaten by the dog, but hopefully it will remain through the fall and winter to remind me of the pleasures to come - sky blue lilies!
*  plant most bulbs by scooching with the widest part DOWN into the soil, leaving the smallest part pointing UP at the sky


3 comments:

  1. Working with you is a pleasure and a joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annabelle, you can also use white flour and regular sugar...it really is interchangeable and really easy. I've made it that way at my mom's house and it worked fine.

    Don't be intimidated any longer! If I can do this, you can too! I have faith in you! I lovingly challenge you to try something new and do this recipe today!!

    And I love spring bulbs too! I hope we get moved up to my mom and dad's soon enough for us to plant some too!!

    Take care and let me know how your bread turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spring bulbs are so beautiful and colourful - definitely something to look forward to. And those blue lilies are gorgeous. Lucky you having your own gardener!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to send your thoughts my way. I love to hear from you!