12.01.2010

Puppet

Puppets are kind of scary, as a general rule, I think. I was always amazed that they seemed to calm and distract the little ones, back in our church-nursery-duty days. How anyone can get through two hours of Sunday morning nursery duty without a bottle of bubbles, playdough, and at least one puppet - way beyond my kid skills.

Remember that Sherry person with the Lamb Chop puppet? I remember watching that in horrified fascination as a kid. We came across some of the Lamb Chop puppets for sale in Hilton Head, and they still have the same effect. On me, at least.

And so, I couldn't pass this Clown Puppet up as a fun photo to pass along. Found on a trip through an antiuqe mall, of course. Really, though - what child, in any decade, would like this clown? Effective, perhaps, in frightening the child into a stunned silence.
I guess that's the important thing, after all.

(I missed an opportunity to have a great gag gift for the Christmas Game, didn't I?)


4 comments:

  1. My grandbabies wouldn't like that clown at all! In fact Charlotte would probably say "Ewww, gwoss!"
    You're right...puppets can be creepy. But my youngest daughter LOVED Lampchop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep thats creepy. Have I ever told you about Joe's partner Drew and his wife are the Curator for the Vent Haven Ventriloquist Museum? Its the National Headquarters. It Is CREEPY!! Check it out. http://venthavenmuseum.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes... silence IS golden. That thing is beyond creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do remember the woman with Lamb Chop. Puppets never had the effect on me that they seem to have had on you, Marie, Tate and Rachel! I'm quite happy about them. Puppets are a huge thing in Prague - when we were there we went to see Mozart's Don Giovanni performed by puppets (and their puppeteers, of course) - it was amazing! However, I remember as a child seeing a film where Michael Redgrave was a ventriloquist with a dummy. Now THAT was scary - In my childhood ignorance I thought the dummy had come to life and taken over the man. Years later I saw it again and realised the man was schizophrenic...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to send your thoughts my way. I love to hear from you!