12.16.2012

Holiday Sounds


In the Christmas season, every opening of our front door is accompanied by the jingle of bells.
A leather strap of bells, I don't remember where it came from, is dug from the boxes of Holiday This and That and hung on the door handle, as soon as it gets all Christmasy around here. 
They fall to the floor often, which aggravates the Men and the Almost-Men 
of the house. I heard one of them grumble last week, 
"Why do we have these on the door anyway???"
Because I like them! 
The sound can be heard almost anywhere you might be in the house,
announcing someone's coming or going, which seem like holiday sounds, to me. 
I didn't try to explain that, though; I just pretended not to hear.
 I find it best to use words somewhat sparingly around here. 
Now if they had really wanted to know ... I would've explained. 

Sometime in the (far) future, as the boys establish their own households, 
we'd like to gift them each with a set of Christmas bells for their own entry doors.
I wonder if they'll still grumble?

3 comments:

  1. "I just pretended not to hear." Genius! :)

    I like your jingle bells. They tell me you're a good soul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! This totally reminded me of my dad's Christmas album we HAD to listen to every year. My sister wants a recording of that album. If my dad gave me one, it would go from the post box directly to the trash. It would not pass go or collect $200. haha!! Yes, I get ribbed about my "hating" on their Christmas tradition(btw, that album wasn't even all that Christmasy either! I much prefer old Time Life classics). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE those kind of bells on the leather straps!! It makes me think they should be attached to horse harnesses :) I'm sure they sound lovely...I think I should find a set for my house!! Hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to send your thoughts my way. I love to hear from you!