12.20.2012

Two Ton


Do you ever read over the third or even the fourth verses to the old Christmas hymns?
There is some two-ton theology in those verses we hardly ever sing!
(Could that be why we skip those verses?)
But so many are blessedly, sweetly, painfully, relevant
I love that! 
I need that!

(from) 'I HEARD THE BELLS ON CHRISTMAS DAY'
And in despair I bowed my head
“There is no peace on earth,” I said,
“For hate is strong and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men.”
Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
“God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
With peace on earth, good will to men.”

***
I know I'm not alone in the constant breathing of prayers for the bereaved in Connecticut.
Doesn't this seem like an appropriate Christmas hymn to add to our prayers?

2 comments:

  1. I read your bells on the door post (cute). I have bells on our front entry door also and reading this post has given them new meaning.

    “God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
    The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
    With peace on earth, good will to men.”

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just heard that an hour ago and thought of the very same thing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to send your thoughts my way. I love to hear from you!