7.16.2014

Lying Petunias


Why are petunias so deceptive?
Every spring, I scour the garden stores, reading petunia tags filled with promises. 
Just the names are suspiciously pompous:
"Supertunia"
"Proven Winner"
"Cascadia"
And the pie-in-the-sky descriptions!
"self cleaning"
"drought tolerant"
"5 foot spread"

Mmmmm-hm.

Perhaps I have so much petunia disappointment because I can't bring myself to follow this advice:
"...newer varieties that say they don’t require deadheading 
will benefit from a pinching or shearing mid-season."*
While I am an avid pruner, it is beyond me to get out the clippers 
and shear a star-player in my summer containers. 
Although by ignoring this pointer, I know I will soon be yanking bloomless
petunia plants and pitching them into the side yard to be mown over.

This year I made a petunia splurge buy** at a schmancy garden store, and friends, I paid premium price 
for that single yellow and white striped beauty. Even though I planted it in optimal conditions and 
made sure it was properly watered - it's long gone leaving nothing but hateful, brown stems.

 Among the petunias I bought this spring THIS is the only one that 
remains healthy, compact and blooming well. 
It came from the lowly Walmart garden section, thrown into the cart to keep company with a pack of chicken breasts, an unfortunate mascara choice, and a box of dog bones.

You just never can tell, can you!?

* more useful info on petunias here
** $3.84 for one annual bedding plant is way inside my splurge category.


Side Note:
You never can tell who the Lord will call to serve in His kingdom - those from the lowliest beginnings often seem to end up as one of His favorite instruments of grace! 
"... God has chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise..."  I Corinthians 1:26-29

You never can tell what the Lord will use in the lives of His children to create beauty. Sometimes the most harsh and cutting circumstances lead to rejuvenation and then, rejoicing!  
For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways, declares the Lord. Isaiah 55:8






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to send your thoughts my way. I love to hear from you!