8.07.2015

Summer Dinner - Upscale BLTs


I could eat BLT sandwiches every night. 
Ask my family - EVERY night.
I tried it, but quickly ran out of tomatoes. 
There's plenty of green and very little red out there. 
Is this what summer in Canada is like?

This is my first time growing basil. 
Aside from pesto, I wasn't exactly sure what to do with it, and there's so much of it!
A dear pal noticed my abundant basil bush and promised to share 
her  superspecial  basil mayo recipe. 
The one from her Tried and True, Lifelong Cookbook.
The one especially for BLTs.
This is my modified version - less basil, more hot sauce, extra mayo. 
Put these in the blender, and you'll wind up with a glorious, basil-green mayo. 

1 c fresh basil, loosely packed
1 c mayo
2 tsp lemon juice
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 to 1 tsp hot sauce

Go all out and make specialty bacons for your sandwiches. 
I arrange my pound of bacon on a heavy cooking sheet and let it 
bake in the oven instead of frying it, which eliminates the stove-top mess. 
Before baking, sprinkle with ground pepper to make peppered bacon. 
Sprinkle brown sugar across your pan of uncooked bacon and you'll end up with 
sugared bacon that will make your family happyhappyhappy. 

Prepare to be bacon hero of the day. You might be carried around the backyard 
on the shoulders of delirious, bacon-eating admirers - who knows? 
I can almost hear the cheering crowd...
* Caution - add too much brown sugar and you'll have a scorched mess. 

And, do I have to say it?  Sourdough, people!

The meal theme for the last family gathering here was ... 
"BLT Blowout."
It was easy to knock out almost all the preparations ahead of time;
only the bacon required last minute attention.
Great articles with all the details of throwing a BLT party here.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to send your thoughts my way. I love to hear from you!