1.30.2009

Not Me - Again

So, here I am trying to feed the chickadees (don't laugh) who I'm thinking are desperately needy in the middle of a winter storm with everything iced over. I tried so hard to be acceptable/non-threatening/invisible! Brown coat and scarf, blue hat (with eye-hiding bill), white gloves...all natural and camouflaging colors! I thought the metal bowl might be less intimidating than feeding right out of my hand for starters, so that's what I used...at the beginning...
OK, so you probably already can guess how this turned out. Yes, I saw how it was going to turn out, too. Already being bird-rejected, I thought I'd just go for broke and try the seed in hand approach. My Dear Husband, having seen the videos I posted earlier of successful hand-feeders, dug out a handful of the black sunflower seeds for me. Nothing like being supported by your spouse in trying to achieve these life goals! My Manly Sons all ended up laying around in the snow watching to see if Mom would really make it this time. Eventually they left, I think I saw some head shaking, and went sledding. Thinking this (they) might have been the problem all along, I kept up holding my hand out there...Now I'm going to make the radical confession that will confirm to you all that I may be somewhat "misguided". I tried to lure the birds in by singing...the Doxology. Those Methodist roots do go deep! After more than 15 times through the Doxology, I gave up. Oh, no I did not throw the seed, yell at the chickadees who were perching (and laughing) nearby, or stomp around in the snow. No. How undignified that would have been. 
I gently put the seed in the previously empty feeder. Yes, I had left it empty for a couple of days trying to make them REALLY hungry - and willing. Went inside to see if I could feel my toes again and wash a few dishes.  This is what I saw out the window. Traitorous little birds in the feeder IMMEDIATELY afterward gobbling down seed. And laughing.  At me.

1 comment:

  1. Poor Methodist Snow White, so sad, so rejected. I can't believe they didn't come for the doxology!! Maybe they're Pentacostal? Go get your dancing shoes on!! That would take care of the frozen toes too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to send your thoughts my way. I love to hear from you!