3.22.2009

The Cross at the Center of Easter


Eggs. Yeast rolls. Bunnies. Fluffy chicks. Chocolate. SweetTart candy. Bonnets. Neckties (yeah - right!) Ham.  Baskets. More chocolate!

It is tough to  keep the cross at the center of Easter, just like it's tough to keep the manger at the center of Christmas! Some ways we tried to focus the families gaze:

- New clothes for Easter Sunday - In keeping this tradition, we always pointed out that on Easter Sunday, Jesus was clothed in a new heavenly body, and looked different to everyone! And so might they, if they would just put the tie on!

- In making Easter eggs - The whole Trinity displayed in the egg.  I know it doesn't fully translate, but what can, really?? It was a good start for little guys. Vinegar used in the old-fashioned egg-dying kits provided a chance to discuss events at the cross. (And, of course, putting a cross on the eggs, like one of them did.)

- Pointing out New Life in nature - newly sprouting plants and trees that had lookedcompletely dead, return of birds from winter grounds, greening grass... all natural pictures of the resurrection found on lots of nature hikes.

- I concocted a homemade version of Resurrection Eggs that we use every year in preparation for the big day. My version involved an story item and a hand written scripture inside a plastic, numbered egg. Here and here - some options on the net that make very little creativity necessary!

- Every year, I determined to make Easter Story Cookies. Never did it. Maybe I'll do it for the grandkids ... this is a very scary train of thought that may, yes will, require another post.

- Of course, I have a pile of Easter books that I put center stage for the week or two before the Day, and we watched movie reenactments that fit their ages of readiness. I have not shown the Passion of the Christ by Mel Gibson. I found this to be almost beyond bearing, myself, and will let them choose this for themselves when they are ready. Clips are shown every Lenten season at our church - these are enough for us so far.  (BTW - the book Riven by Jerry Jenkins. Would love to know if anyone else has read this, and what you think of the ending...)

- We've not ever asked The Sons to fast from anything for the Lenten season, although they are coming of age to do this, I think. Fasting is a basic of faith that I don't think we've passed on well. Maybe because we have only learned its value in the last couple of years, ourselves! Some Hardship will bring you quick lessons on The Value of The Fast, real quick. 

As they are teens now, they don't want to dye eggs, and they know the resurrection eggs by heart...  They still love eating the candy, and as they stuff it in, I'm hoping all the meaning thatwe stuffed into Easter when they were little boys sticks! 



1 comment:

  1. Love love love this! I love that you've been through my phase of life already and now can share what you've done and learned. Thank you.

    And GOOD WORK on the button - looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to send your thoughts my way. I love to hear from you!