6.16.2009

Rabbit Snack

Every year, the rabbits come out to do battle, eating the vines that make my summer garden into a happy place! They come along and snip the topmost, tender parts of the growing vine and leave the rest. Usually, I just stomp around leaking Yosemite Sam explicatives and plant new seeds. But this year, I developed a weapon—homemade cloches. I've always admired the beautiful bell cloches that are only seen in carefully-kept, English gardens, but who can afford those? So I turned to the many empty pop bottles, leftovers of the 50th wedding anniversary of my parents-in-law. I washed them out, cut them up, pinned them down, and I thought I had those rabbits beat. But no. They must've stretched their scrawny necks and snickered as they stood up to nip out the tops of these hyacinth bean vines...right out of my pop bottle cloches. Turns out I should've made them with the pop bottle neck still on, like these.

6 comments:

  1. Oh no--and you worked so hard!! If those bunnies weren't so cute...!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! I hope you still have some bottles left to make some more. I agree - those glass cloches are beautiful, but SO expensive!
    Janice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my .. I hope the rabbits don't eat everything! I have deer that comme in my yard and have been helping themselves to my garden, I feel your pain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darn those rabbits! They did the same thing to my girls' sunflowers.

    Thanks for stopping by yesterday! The nearest police are about 2 hours, the volunteer fire department takes about an hour and the nearest neighbor is about 4 miles away - I don't have there number. LOL my life is crazy here in the land of nowhere.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to send your thoughts my way. I love to hear from you!