12.02.2008

1985


What were you doing in 1985?  I was enjoying my first year of college, feeling like a humble freshman again, after having been a mighty high school senior - hahaha.  MDHusband and I were still enjoying each other's company as 'particular friends'. We went everywhere and did everything together - so much freedom back then!  In 1985, I thought I was going to be a social worker (more hahaha).  I was in the middle of a practicum in the bottoms of Covington at a neighborhood help center.  This experience proved to me that I was NOT a social worker in the making!  The suffering of the people, yes, just in downtown Covington - it was too heavy for me.  The callousness of the employees was the harsh necessity that convinced me to change my major.  In 1985, I was 19 and completely unaware of all that life would bring.  Wow.  Now I'm 42, and someday, as an old woman, I wonder if I'll look back and say the same thing. (rickety-wobbly voice) "I was only 42 and completely unaware of all life would bring!"  I probably won't remember 1985 at all by then, but I certainly will remember 2008.

This is my vintage 1985 apron, made with a wall calendar/dishtowel and grosgrain ribbon. My mom and I make them for sale.  We call them Black Button Aprons and hide a black button on each apron. You can see the black button in this photo pretty clearly. If 1985 is special to you, you can have it!  Just let me know why 1985 was special for you in the comments. 

4 comments:

  1. First of all, THANK YOU for voting for me in the www.getrealcontest.com! My dream is to own a digital slr, but we don't have the money for it. So thank you!

    Second, I found your blog through MckMama's about a week ago and love it...I have always wanted Annabelle Hydrangea, but the only place I have for them is in full sun. The people at the nursery tell me not to plant them in full sun, so I haven't gotten any yet. What are your thoughts?

    And last, in 1985, I was 7 years old and surely sporting a white lace ribbon in my hair, trying to emulate Madonna (lovely).

    Love your blog!!!!

    Courtney in Indiana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your creativity!! Too cute.
    Can I make a request on a blog topic for some day... How did you make Christmas about Christ for your boys? How did you keep Santa in a fun but "play" place?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your aprons. I bought one once to give to my mother-in-law that you made from an old dishtowel. It was so cool because when she opened it, it was actually the same pattern of dishtowel she had when she was first married.

    Okay, does it count if I say 1985 was special because that's the year I learned how to spell my name? I was 5.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I waited a very long time for someone else to comment on this precious thing but since no one has, I will.
    In 1985 I was 4 years old and big things were happening.(haha)Mom had Donnie, whom I carefully named Toto and then dressed like a girl. We moved into a new house where one of the most impressive things was the steps: we could slide down the banister over and over like our own playground indoors and more importantly at night you could sit at the top and watch the reflection of the TV off the window on the landing!! great stuff. that's all I've got.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to send your thoughts my way. I love to hear from you!