2.14.2009

Extravagant Valentine Blessing

My Dear Husband has been my Valentine for 25 years.  We met at the YMCA when I was only 17, a senior in high school, and he was 20.  This photo was taken when we were about that age. It seems like a long time ago. He won me, at first, with his snort-producing sense of humor, his sparkling brown eyes, and his awesome red mustang. 
As we continued in our relationship, he began his relationship with Jesus, and soon after, I lost my heart to him entirely. It surely didn't resemble the careful procedure of "courtship", but that's how it went. He came to my school dances, later he took some college classes just to spend time with me, he always opened doors for me. 
He was the most kind and thoughtful of new daddies, helping me and whatever baby or toddler we had with any and every task. Nothing was too dirty or beneath him in those demanding days. Now, with teens challenging the system, we often excuse ourselves to another room, and he holds my hand as we try to figure out a game plan to deal with the ever-changing demands of parenting.
In 2007, all the wheels came off, and my health went in the can. You find out what's really inside your spouse when hardship presses in. That September, I sat in a doctor's office and heard the words 'thyroid cancer'. During the next year, My Husband showed me what Jesus looks like in skin. All the hospital visits, body scans, cuttingdrainingtestingpokingprodding - he was there, always with me, holding my hand. No one could have been more gentle, more faithful, or strong - and each just at the right time. 
I used to wish  that we'd have more money, maybe live in a bigger house, drive newer (faster) vehicles. Now, standing where I am, and having been where I've been, I know that I'm already rich and have been for some time! God  has given me the extravagant wealth of a truly loving husband and a fulfilled marriage. 

The hurt of unhappy marriages has been all around me lately. Because of this and more than ever, I feel the urging to guard and treasure this gift. If you have been given the same wonderful gift, I'm rejoicing with you and encourage you to also guard your treasure. 

A sermon series that I think is applicable on Valentine's Day - a teaching on the Song of Solomon by Marc Driscoll. It's a little edgy, and  he does very plainly discuss intimate issues - but, it is Song of Solomon, after all! I found a lot of useful things here, about how to tend a marriage:

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. What a touching post! What a gift you've been given in your husband. You are right to treasure and guard him. Thank you for sharing all of this.

    Thyroid cancer? How did this all turn out? I had no idea.

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  2. we love that series. We've watched almost all of them together. Then again, almost everything Mark Driscoll or Mars Hill does is worth a look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Courtney, Found the mass, had surgery to remove thyroid, it had not spread (whew), had some radioactive drinks (ack). Now I have to do body scans for re-occurrences for a few years. This is the cancer cake walk, if that's not disrespectful. It's said to be the mildest (!) form of cancer, and the most easily "cured".
    Still plenty scary - enough to rattle my box, for sure.
    The screen was clear in 2008, and we continue to be grateful!

    Thanks for asking!

    s

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to send your thoughts my way. I love to hear from you!