2.20.2009

Knob of Beauty



I'm a hardware freak. At rummage sales, yard sales, garage sales, I'm the one that walks away with the shoebox full of knobs, hooks, and latches. Thankfully, My Wonderful Husband is in this fix with me, and we enjoy finding pieces to use in our house (or forget in the basement). Last summer, or was it the summer before, we re-did the upstairs bathroom. MWH put down a beautiful black and white tile floor, the walls went soft, spa blue, new lighting fixture went up, hung a mirror instead of medicine cabinet - the works! All changes/additions qualifying as bargains, absolutely. Except this doorknob. We found it at Anthropologie, my favorite wishing store. They have one of those multi-level display carousels with the most lovely knobs, hinges, hooks...I knew when I saw this door knob (angel song) that it was meant to be in Our House. However...My Sons hate these doorknobs. So do visitors. They don't turn smoothly and let you out as quickly as other knobs, so people often think they are stuck in the bathroom. Just this morning, in the dark, cozy bed, I heard My Oldest struggling with the knob, trying to get out of the bathroom. A Wonderfully Kind mother would have gotten up and helped him out of the bathroom, but you already know that I didn't. I snuggled deeper in the covers...and snickered. Slapped my knee when I heard him utter a frustrated, "Dang It!" I believe that the little quirk makes the Knob of Beauty even more valuable - in hilarity points.
(We do help visitors out if they believe themselves to be stuck.)

Sorry, I can't resist adding that there must be a devotional, or at least an object lesson  in this. Yes, certainly about how to be more Wonderfully Kind as a mother, let's forget about that, please! How about Expensive Beauty without Usefulness, and how frustrating that can be for those who are subjected to it. I'm sure there are more...
Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain, But a woman who fears the LORD, she shall be praised. Proverbs 31:30

2 comments:

  1. Hilarity. I totally know these types of knobs...I grew up with one on my bedroom door my whole life. It was the trickiest doorknob in the house, but I loved it. I found two decorative plaques with knobs like this on them at Michael's awhile ago and knew I had to have them for my newly-redone guest room where I put lots of things that reminded me of my parents. I smiled when I saw yours. :) I smiled even more at the thought of you laughing at the expense of your stuck children.

    Happy Friday!

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  2. I let my eldest wander around the second floor last night at 2am murmering something about being "so firsty". I did get up when I heard him start to head downstairs for the juice himself. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to send your thoughts my way. I love to hear from you!