3.01.2009

Mom Among Men - the Medicine Cabinet

This is our bathroom medicine cabinet. It's the only cabinet of that sort in the house, so choices must be made carefully regarding what to put in it. Only the most necessary OTC meds in here, thermometer(s) - more than one in case the first reading is just not believable, ointments, drops, metal train conductor from Thomas the Tank Engine days, etc. What everybody has, I'm guessing. I am the curious sort, but have never been able to bring myself to peek inside someone else's bathroom cabinet; thought about it though. Am considering whose I'd like to see right now...
Look at the bottom shelf - that's the business shelf, I'd say. Where all the most frequently used items stand within the least exerting reach. Notice anything here? Not long ago, it struck me how my little Lady Speed Stick stands out on it's lonesome own among Axe body spray, manly razor (not to be used on girl legs), and "fusion" scented Mennen Speed Stick. No one needed these items just a few short years ago! The cabinet was filled with more innocent things like Barney band-aids, snot aspirators (?), Q-tips, I can't even remember what else! Those baby/toddler things that are long gone from my cabinet! Not that I mind that much, though, but the MAN items in this cabinet do reflect my current situation. I'm no longer a mom of delicious babes or darling toddlers - I'm a Mom Among Men. These people have whiskers, and while they are capable of BO, they prefer to smell good to attract the attention of other people's daughters - It's a different world out here, friends!
Now I see that instead of the years stretching endlessly out (and out and out), they are rushing toward the end of the time when my sons' manly things won't even BE in my medicine cabinet. My influence in their lives is mostly fulfilled at this point. When older people in the grocery lines would say, "They'll be grown before you know it!" I didn't believe them. I knew it would take forever! Well, I turned out to be wrong - again. I don't care so much that they are physically larger, it's really nice in alot of ways, but I didn't realize how much the 'window of influence' closing would unsettle me. The eensy-weensy window of the almost-grown son - - that bothers me.

Sure would like to make the last little bit of influence I have really count for these almost-men. I'm looking for help along the way to being the mother of Grown Sons Who Love and Serve the Lord - some funny stories, direction toward resources, more funny stories, sharing of scripture, encouragement/admonishment/examples, and ... more funny stories. Moms Among Men are in a unique position - it's nice to have friends in the journey and this blog might be a way to do that! Along with my regular posts, I hope to post about my own experiences - I'll label these with the Mom Among Men title. It'd be great to have lots of MAM voices providing encouragement in comments, links or even guest blogs. Maybe I'll make a button to post! Who knows!? Pass this along to any other Moms Among Men that you know, and help us develop a community of support, sharing and laughter!

3 comments:

  1. OH, I can tell you right now I'm going to love this new feature! I have so much to learn about raising my boys, and it's really hard to believe that I'll be staring at razors and Axe in no time (yes, we still have Thomas the Train and Transformers gracing the inside of our cabinet). Sorry I won't be able to contribute any Moms of Men content, but I know I'm going to enjoy reading it!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me feel old. The rapture was supposed to come before all this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sooo in the same boat, but just barely leaving the shores of boyhood...my nine year old is now into the axe spray and insists i by mens scented bodywash instead of the "little boy" stuff!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to send your thoughts my way. I love to hear from you!