5.18.2009

Helping the Poppy


These are oriental poppies, originally from my brother and sister-in-law's first home. They had a big round planting of them there, and when they finally moved, I snuck over and got a start for myself. Poppies don't like to be transplanted - they prefer to begin from seeds - but these took off anyway! It's so much more fun when a plant has a history instead of just a seed packet or plastic identification tag, isn't it? When I see these in my gardens, I think of those early days in the marriage of my brother and his wife. I have been blessed to have plants given to me over the years by friends and family, so when I walk through the garden, I think of these dear people when I see their plants. 

Hardy geranium - thanks, Sue! 
Garden phlox - thanks, Sandy! 
Peonies - thanks, Patsy! 
Lily of the valley - thanks, Mom! 
Hardy begonia - thanks, Jayne! 
Zagreb coreopsis - thanks, Helen! 
Spiderwort - thanks, Marilyn!

The heads of the oriental poppies are so interesting! See in the background how they stay bent over as the buds develop. Then when the bud is ready to bloom, the stem straightens and the bud bursts open. This enormous fluffy bloom pops out! This bloom was "helped" to open by My Youngest. 

Helping the poppy is not really helping the poppy, though. It's similar to "helping" a butterfly out of its cocoon, or "helping" a chick out of its egg. The bloom needs to do its own work to enter the world, or it will be stunted. Think about that! The Lord has so many lessons for us from the garden! I'll refrain from preaching it to you, so you can see it for yourself. 


Anyway, I've opened a few myself. Every year, really, I can't resist popping one open to peek inside at the way that huge bloom is crammed into such a small space! It's a miracle of space-saving economy in there! 

So My Youngest didn't get scolded. 

I know exactly why he did it.

3 comments:

  1. That is pretty amazing, I never knew all of this. That poppy is really pretty, orange is one of my favorite colors

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have never heard or saw an oriental poppy before. that is fab!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been fascinated by the growing habbits of poppies too - and noticed how they are bent over until they bloom then stand to attention. And then the lovely seed heads. I've never tried transplanting any poppies but it does seem rather churlish that they are fussy about reproducing this way when they self-seed at such a rapid rate! Must admit though, I have never opened a bud to see what's inside! These orange ones are lovely, and I am more than a little envious of your garden swing-seat!!!
    Janice.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to send your thoughts my way. I love to hear from you!