6.03.2009

Nothing New


Funny how some things about family portraits seem to stay the same over the generations. This is an old photo of my maternal side of the family. The mother in the grouping, Nellie, is my great-grandmother. Note how she is giving instructions to someone standing with her just as the photo is taken. Such a typical 
mom photo! The father, John, my great-grandfather, is blissfully unaware of whatever is bothering his wife and is just smiling away at the camera. The baby, of course, is struggling to get down! There's always at least one child who doesn't want to be in the picture! My "Grandma" is the oldest daughter, also smiling brightly. Finishing out this photo op is the kid sitting nearby making fun of his captured friends, and the dog slinking into the bottom of the picture. Some things just never change!

'That which has been is that which will be, 
And that which has been done is that which will be done.
So there is nothing new under the sun." 
Ecclesiastes 1:9


15 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog; your blog is so....peaceful. I love it.

    And you know, I am a woman of faith. I do pray with him before bedtime, but I don't know why I hadn't thought of it at naptime. Probably because I'm just as tired and grumpy as him. lol But I'll definitely try that today. The power of prayer is pretty amazing, even in the small things.

    I do hope you'll stop by again. And I love this picture; I wish I had such great pictures of my grandparents (or parents).

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is pretty cool. I love old family photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely photo. The girls could pretty much be anywhere during that era. But the boys and your great granddad with those dungarees and the hat, well to me as a Brit they say American farming community. And the house is so typical too. Yes I agree, some things never change!
    Janice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pic.... and funny how things are still the same... mom's still "do the work" when trying to get a good family picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree!! The mom in the photo.. oh my gosh :)!

    And!! I'm totally inlove with your sunflower shot below!! wow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE old photos like this, and I like you pointed out the little details! It made it even more interesting!!

    Thank you for stopping by my blog today!!!!

    Happy WW!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a neat idea showing old family pics! I love looking at those old pics. It's great fun seeing their faces and their manneriams show up in the pic.

    Thank you for stopping by my blog!
    Happy WW!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You should set up a picture of your own family in a similar setting, great framing piece..MH

    ReplyDelete
  9. such a neat photo. i loved your analysis of it, too. And the most perfect verse! very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a great ww post!! thanks for sharing!!

    my ww's:
    http://www.mcclurefamilyspace.blogspot.com/
    &
    http://2by2boutique.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I swear DNA has memory because every family photo is just like that no matter who's family and what year! Thanks for stopping by...I added you to my blog following for my reading. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing old family photo! And so true...nothing changes!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to send your thoughts my way. I love to hear from you!