8.16.2009

Goal Interrupted

Two things I set as goals for myself this summer: First, to open an Etsy shop. It's open and I'm  untangling the knots of shipping - UGH! But it's open! Yea! 
Second, to open our gardens for "sale" or "swap". This garden season has been unequalled as far as plenty of rain - I've never seen the grass as green as it is in any other August! The ground is usually rock hard by this time of year, but it's still wonderful out there. Perfect for digging plants to share even this late in the season! Mid-July, my sign, below, was ready with a page box on the side listing plants and prices. Last stop - check the internet for what others who sell out of their gardens might have to give as advice.  Ooops!

In more than one place, I found direction to make sure that our  homeowner's insurance covered this venture. I got the uh-oh feeling right then. And I was right. Our insurance company wants more money than I would ever make to keep our coverage while making any sort of plant transactions on our property. 

The sign is in the basement - it is a GREAT sign, though, so I thought I'd post it so that somebody could see it! The blue letter pattern is photoshopped into the letters from a picture of one of our own Nikko blue hydrangeas - thanks to My Amazing Husband! 

Maybe we'll find a loophole over the winter and I can try again next spring. I was really looking forward to the "swap" part.

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations on ipening your Etsy shop. I hope you do well! Aprons seem to be very popular these days.
    I'm sorry to hear about your plant news. Maybe you could still do the swap part of it.

    Oh about that basement bug...one word...GROSS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great sign - I noticed the beautiful blue colours before reading your text but wouldn't have imagined such technological creativity! I'm sorry about the insurance problems and hope you do find a way round it - I know how much you enjoy your garden, and this is a great way to get extra plants for no cost. It makes me think of a discussion I saw on a beautiful craft blog a few months ago, and the new US laws which effectively meant those wonderfully talented crafters who made toys would be falling foul of new legislation. It seems like all is weighted in favour of corporate business. Good luck with your Etsy shop! And I'd love to see the 'fairy homes' you saw on your outing!
    Janice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went and looked at your Etsy shop and those aprons are really cute. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the etsy shop. That is on my to-do list for someday!

    The plant swap sounds like it would have been awesome. I think it would be neat to do a Veggie swap. Our garden is overflowing with Cucumbers and tomatoes, but none of my green beans did anything.

    Hopefully your venture will work out for next year. That sign is too good to be wasted :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Annabelle!

    I'm sure that you will be able to find a way to make the sale/swap work!! Your sign was great!! And congrats on your Etsy shop. I will just have to shop hop on over and take a look at your goods!!

    I just love etsy! I bought a few hair things for my little girl on etsy and they are DARLING!!

    Have a very blessed day! And thank you for following my blog :O)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bummer about the insurance. Why does there always seem to be a catch?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to send your thoughts my way. I love to hear from you!