8.24.2009

Zinnias


The zinnias share a bed with lots of other partners: rose campion, oriental poppies, peonies, glads and even a few pushy sunflowers. But right at this time of year, you wouldn't even notice all those other flowers because the zinnias just stop the show!

They have wonderful names like Purity, Purple Prince, Enchantress, Red Spider, Candy Cane, Paintbrush and California Giant. Here's just beginning of a bud...

...then just coming into bloom...

....in full bloom with the "crown" of florets on top.

I love the speckly appearance of this one called Candy Cane Stripe,

But the reds just knock me out! This photo can't begin to show how RED the bloom is-


7 comments:

  1. I'm the green eyed monster over here. Those might be my favorite flower and not one of our seeds came up. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lot of zinnias! I love their clashing colours all together like this. We have some too, but not as many as you, and your look taller and in better health!
    Janice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Annabelle

    these zinnias are really bright and beautiful. My dad used to plant zinnias up our driveway... I love the bud - it reminds me of the bodice of an Elizabethan dress.

    Happy days

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't plant any zinnias this year and I really miss them! They are just perfect, aren't they? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why do I always forget the beautiful zinnias? Thanks for reminding me... next year it's zinnias all around!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Zinnias! I've never seen the Candy Cane Stripe variety ~ I need that one!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to send your thoughts my way. I love to hear from you!