9.04.2009

Hen Stalk


Hens and Chicks, right? I've had this pot of them out in the garden for several years. They came as a garden gift from my mother-in-law.I haven't taken care of them the way I should and they just look poorly - the pot is all falling apart and flaking everywhere - the whole thing needs to be repotted. BUT this year, I find this thick stalk (can you see it??) coming up from the center of the hens - WHAT?? Guess that's one of the wonders of an unusually wet summer in Kentucky! It seems that Hens and Chicks flower from a stalk like this. Amazing. Find out more about Hens and Chicks here. They even come in other lovely colors.

4 comments:

  1. I guess just leaving things be is sometimes the best medicine?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard that name before. I love what Crafty Gardener has done with them. Now you can transplant them to shoes, too! Will you be doing that...?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have an invasive week that I always thought was chicks and hens, but now looking at your picks, I'm not so sure. Hmmmmm. The bottom part looks like yours (only not so big) but the top has a long stalky thing and white little bity flowers that resembles the head of a duck.

    Great, now I have to find out what I HAVE, lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to send your thoughts my way. I love to hear from you!