11.12.2009

The Hobo



I know that Halloween is long gone, and some of us have already moved on to enjoy the Christmas season...

But I want to share a photo of My Youngest which keeps catching my eye when I'm scrolling through the cache. He was a hobo for Halloween, which was something we often dressed up as when we were kids ourselves. We lived rurally, just as my family does now, and Halloween costumes were not something we thought about preparing until the day of --- or the night before, if we got really excited. Big neighborhood trick-or-treating didn't happen for us, so it wasn't something we obsessed about. We only envied our friends their pillowcase-FUL candy wealth and their tales of door-to-door glory from the big night as they were being shared on the bus the next morning.

Anyway, we did get to go to a few houses out here in the boonies, and on arriving home from school after our Halloween school party, we'd ask desperately, "What can I be???" Standard reply: hobo or gypsy. No plastic masks or nylon costumes required! Supplies at the ready in the house! Just a little effort and off we'd go.

That's not exactly how it went for my boy, the only one still willing to dress up and go trick-or-treating.
I'd bought this mask, actually labeled 'Fool', at Walmart as soon as the Halloween stuff went on the shelves. I buy some masks and disguise items every year, just for fun and games around the house. Last year, it was an Old Man latex mask along with an Elvis pull-over mask. So he had alot to choose from, but went with this newest mask, renamed 'Hobo'. In the company of his cousins (Storm Troopers - with plastic masks and nylon costumes), he got to canvas a whole neighborhood, door-to-door with the other fools, and he got .............. a pillowcase-FUL of candy (hanging from the end of his hobo stick) and a lot of laughs about his costume.

4 comments:

  1. Great hobo costume ~ I love the pillowcase on a stick candy bag! It's so nice to see a costume that isn't evil looking!

    About that first photo ~ ick! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a boyfriend once who looked exactly like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hurraaaah! You finally get to enjoy a pillowcase full of candy - even if vicariously! That decaying pumpkin looks very sad indeed, by the way! You may know that in England we don't have Halloween in the same way you have it in the US (although it's catching on over here) but what we have is Bonfire Night on 5th November - I did post about it with some info. In the north of England where I'm from we used to make our Guy Fawkes effigies from old raggy clothing and we would go out in the streets and ask passers-by for 'a penny for the Guy'. It was our version of your trick or treat, I suppose!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why do the pumpkins have to rot so quickly? I always enjoy seeing them. Great costume!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to send your thoughts my way. I love to hear from you!