11.10.2009

"That Healthful Shore"


This song, again on my iPod, ministered to me this morning as I was getting ready to go begin a series injections/pills in preparation for my yearly thyroid cancer scan this Friday. During this same week, in '07, '08, and this year too, I am reminded of the fraility of our lives here in this place. As I sit with others in the very small waiting room of University Hospital's Nuclear Medicine Department, sneaking peeks into the faces of the others waiting with me, it is easy to be highly aware that no guarantee is given to us on the length, or even the quality of life while we are still on this side of "Jordan's stormy banks". I do have a guarantee on what I have to look forward to, though, but it's not over here - it's over there. Not because of anything I have done to deserve it (absolutely nothing) but only because of what Jesus did on my behalf!

The photo copy above only has three verses, but in the original writing by Mr. Stennett, there were eight. I like this one, especially this week:
No chilling wind nor poisonous breath
Can reach that healthful shore
Where sickness, sorrow, pain and death
Are felt and feared no more

You can listen to the Jars of Clay version that I've been enjoying, here. Just drag down to the titles section and click the play arrow of "On Jordan's Stormy Banks I Stand".

For further study of this hymn (or other hymns), along with a nice history of it, go to this blog.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the Jars of Clay link. I love that CD...I'm adding it to my Christmas Wish list.

    You're in my prayers today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard that old hymn in years!

    Hope the scan comes back clean! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that song too. Have you heard Indelible Grace sing it?
    The kids and I played "count the ice cream scoops" this morning out of a Miss Susan Bag. THanks again!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to send your thoughts my way. I love to hear from you!