12.10.2009

the Magi

We're enjoying listening to some Christmas classics on audio as we drive (anddriveanddriveanddrive). The Gift of the Magi, by O. Henry, which we've heard twice so far, has the more difficult vocabulary my 5th grader needs to work on: appertaining thereunto, silent imputation of parsimony, the mendicancy squad, and meretricious ornamentation. Whew!

These two quotes from the story are worth sharing as pondering material, here
in the beginning of December-
(bolding added as my own emphasis)

"When Della reached home her intoxication gave way a little to prudence and reason. She got out her curling irons and lighted the gas and went to work repairing the ravages made by generosity added to love. Which is always a tremendous task, dear friends--a mammoth task."
I think this is a passage mothers can identify with, especially. Really.

But this is my favorite -
"The magi, as you know, were wise men--wonderfully wise men--who brought gifts to the Babe in the manger. They invented the art of giving Christmas presents. Being wise, their gifts were no doubt wise ones, possibly bearing the privilege of exchange in case of duplication. And here I have lamely related to you the uneventful chronicle of two foolish children in a flat who most unwisely sacrificed for each other the greatest treasures of their house. But in a last word to the wise of these days let it be said that of all who give gifts these two were the wisest. O all who give and receive gifts, such as they are wisest. Everywhere they are wisest. They are the magi."

I would say that giving gifts in the way Della and Jim did is rarely done these days. How often do we really sacrifice something of our own (sacrifice not meaning debt) to give someone a gift that they've greatly desired? Giving up something personally precious, to bring joy to another?
Something to think about as we check off our Christmas shopping lists.

Della and Jim gave their gifts in the same spirit as that of Christ Jesus as he laid aside His heavenly kingdom to step into our world as a human child. Make a Bible study of it and check these scriptures out I found:
2 Corinthians 8:9, Matthew 20:28, and Philippians 2:6-8
I'll bet more scriptures come to mind as you read these! Add them in the comments section, and I'll be able to check those out, too.
(Come on C-with-an-E, I know you're brimming verses out there in the Midwest!)

To read the story, click here. To listen to it, here.

2 comments:

  1. Always a great story. That kind of love and self-less giving is rare. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhhhh. Della and Jim. I've been listening to that wonderful story since I was little, thanks to my dad's love of all things O. Henry. I just picked up a compilation of Christmas stories on CD to listen to as we drive here and there. I got a little choked up listening to this one again. So, so sweet. And you're right - it's not often that we truly sacrifice in our gift giving. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to send your thoughts my way. I love to hear from you!