12.08.2009

Making (Hydrangea) Babies


Just in the last moment of fall, I pinned a bunch of Nikko Blue Hydrangea canes --- to make some babies! In the spring, these will have (should have) all rooted and ready to be planted in their own space.

First nick the cane. Some say this is not necessary, but since I was so late getting this done, I went ahead and tried to hurry nature along.

Clear the grass/weeds away and press the nicked part of the cane into the loosened dirt. Set your long-legged stake over it.
Having tamped the stake all the way into the soil, cover over the cane just a little bit, with some of the loose dirt.
Cover all of it with plenty of dead leaves and mulch-y material.

Hope for baby hydrangeas in the spring!


2 comments:

  1. Great tip! I didn't know it was so easy. I might just have to try this. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, interesting! Thanks for this. I think I'll try it tomorrow if it isn't raining. You do it outside, all still attached to the big plant? Is this a general technique for shrubs or just hydrangeas and hydrangea types (whatever they may be?)
    Janice.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to send your thoughts my way. I love to hear from you!