2.26.2010

Observations - the Neglectful Giant


You know I notice things. I'm looking all the time. Enormous amounts of self-discipline are required of me in church - so many things to take note of, observe, wonder about. Sometimes I come up short on that self-discipline stuff, of course. BUT - in almost every other arena of life, I feel quite free to LOOK, many times to evenSTARE... intently. I don't get caught very often.
Rabbit Trail: Early in our dating years, My Wonderful Husband warned me as we were approaching a busy downtown gathering place, "Don't get caught staring at that guy(man carrying on an animated conversation with his own hand), please." How well he knows me! But I had already gotten a real good look.
Anyway. Tonight, walking through a parking lot, alone, I observed an enormous man get out of his two-door car and go, very quickly, into the building. An elderly woman was struggling to get out of the same car from the backseat. She was reaching for the car door's window as she pulled herself forward, but the door was wagging back and forth dangerously. She was calling out to the man, "You ought to help us ladies out of the car!"
Holding my arm as we walked the building, she told me about her upcoming 80th birthday. She was hoping to have yellow pound cake with caramel icing.

While inside, I contemplated the giant man who neglected to aid and protect a woman of his own family. I must admit that I contemplated him negatively. I tried to remedy my negative attitude and attempted to generate sound reasons (excuses) for his behavior. Couldn't think of any. Failed at that. Obviously, the sweet, elderly woman had called aloud after him reminding him herself of behavior she was expecting but did not receive....

The next jump in scrutiny is just a short teensy one, of course - right to my own sons. Would any one of them ever exhibit such disregard toward a woman in their care? Have I done enough to make them (hahaha) thoughtful? To cause them to remember to be protective? To compel them to consider the needs of others above their own desires?

Finished with my business and 'contemplation', I made my way to the exit. And there they stood - the elderly woman and the giant man. Do you think I could walk away without saying a word? Would I allow myself to deliver a scathing look at him and offer a sympathetic glance toward her? If I hadn't had so very much time to contemplate, then I could have been better behaved and even possibly have minded my own business. But alas!

In the end, the man received my 'encouragement' very well, laughing and giving me his hand as he pledged to make sure his Aunt was helped safely to the car. She beamed while I reminded him how precious she is.

My boys heard about the incident during another car ride, as we endlessly travel here and there and back again. I (re)emphasized the responsibility and honor available to Every Man as he takes advantage of each opportunity to safeguard those entrusted to them.

I sure hope they remember!

3 comments:

  1. Amen. I must assess if this is a lesson I have neglected to pass on to my son.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I've observed this in you and I knew where each step was headed! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When we go out to eat john likes for me to face a wall if possible.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to send your thoughts my way. I love to hear from you!