7.05.2010

Teen Mantis

(Oh, no, Kate - It's another bug post!)

I noticed this praying mantis in the banner grass while working in the garden last week. I'm not really all that buggy, OK - just a little, but this guy was really noticeable! This bad boy had some attitude! So tiny, just a mantis teen probably, but he did some major chest-thumping when I bumped his grassy territory one too many times. My eye finally caught him as he was springing around from blade to blade near my shoulder, all on the defense. All "Are we 'bout ta do dis?", with a little "Are YOU bumpin' ME???" thrown in. And look how he's still keeping his eye(s) on me, even with his back turned.
Starting this post, I thought I'd compare the mantis to a jedi - he's so cool, and in charge - thinking himself completely omnipotent. Master of his own universe. But....
Yeah.
It's definitely a teenage praying mantis.

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to send your thoughts my way. I love to hear from you!