9.12.2010

Robber Fly

These dry fall-like days bring out the weirder insects. This robber fly was resting on the outside of the greenhouse, just above the hose caddy. It scared My Youngest away from his daily feed-the-dog job, enough for me to be called out to look. We took advantage of the moment and staged this photo of him grabbing it.
(Any volunteers to clean the greenhouse windows?)

But looking more closely - how cool is this guy?! From the back:
From the underside:
He's got a big ol' green fly. Just sucking that thing dry! If I had taken video, you'd be able to see his furry belly moving in and out, in and out.
There, the wonder of creation! I must admit, that's one small advantage of the home school - time to Stop and Wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to send your thoughts my way. I love to hear from you!