8.15.2011

Eat Some Cake!


This is a re-post from my birthday two years ago. This cake is baking in my oven right now! Pop over in a few hours for a piece of the yummy deliciousness!
--------------------------------------------------
When the cake is gone, your birthday is over! This special cake, originally my aunt's recipe, is only made once a year - on my birthday! I like to make it myself, though for a few years My Dear Husband and my boys made it for me. Now I insist that I enjoy making it for myself - and I do! It's a more complicated recipe than I will usually work on, but the result is worth it. I'm not sure who will get this piece, but it won't be me, since I had more than my share.
Orange Crunch Cake
Crunch Layer: 1 c. graham cracker crumbs, 1/2 c. firmly packed brown sugar, 1/2 c. chopped walnuts, 1/2 c. melted margarine or butter
Cake: 1 pkg. yellow cake mix, 1/2 c. water, 1/2 c. orange juice, 1/3 c. oil, 3 eggs, 2 T. grated orange peel
Frosting: 1 can ready to spread vanilla frosting, 1 c. thawed whipped topping, 3 T. grated orange peel, 1 t. grated lemon peel

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 9" round cake pans. In small bowl, combine crunch layer ingredients until crumbly. Press half of crunch mixture into each prepared pan. In large bowl, blend cake ingredients at low speed until moistened; beat 2 minutes at highest speed. Pour batter evenly over crunch layer. Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool ten minutes then remove from pan. Cool completely. In small bowl, beat frosting ingredients until fluffy. Fold in grated orange and lemon peel. Place one layer, crunch side up, on serving plate and spread with frosting. Top with remaining layer (crunch side up) and spread top and sides with remaining frosting. Store in refrigerator.

3 comments:

  1. Watch out how liberally you extend that invite...there might not be enough cake to go around! :)
    I wish I could pop over tonight and try it and give you a little something I saw the other day and had to buy for you! Perhaps one day soon though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phooey! There is no way I checked into your blog in time to take you up on your offer. I do hope it was a blessed day! Miss you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad it was a great day! You are a dear friend! Your cake looks yummy, I should of stopped in!!

    TE

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to send your thoughts my way. I love to hear from you!