10.20.2011

Museum Skills


We took another art museum field trip.  We tried to steer away from the nudes, but you know you can only do so well at that.  In taking My Youngest, my only remaining student At Home, I noticed some changes in his museum skills from the last time we went.  Last time, there was marked astonishment at the lack of modesty - something we always advocate, modesty that is, not the lack of it. Especially during NFL games. 
Victoria's Secret is the worst offender - please don't come to the games, Vicky! 

Anyway, what might demand a channel change on TV is a little less than you'd see on a stroll through a renaissance gallery on any given Tuesday. Instead of astonished shock from My Big Little Boy, he became casually oblivious.  I watched as his eye glanced only barely over multiple topless Virgin Marys 
(why???  were there  really so many people who wanted to see Baby Jesus nursing???) 
to finally rest on some safer art - he favored the weapons, of course. 
It was an interesting trip.

True beauty from one of the very early churches - 
This fresco is so impressive, spilling out natural light. You have to wonder about the ancient, believing eyes that gazed on this same window.

This (below) is just one small panel in a huge altar depicting various religious scenes, done in the 1400's.  I have to say, this one tickled me a little bit. I don't want to be irreverent about the ascension, but check out how the artist, I believe it was Hans Melming, painted the Lord's toes.  Big toes pointed straight up on the way to heaven. 
And as always, the faces in the crowd are fascinating. Some looking at the ground prayerfully (how could you not watch?), a few seeming quite surprised at what is happening, and others watching thoughtfully. Makes you wonder, doesn't it - what would your reaction have been?  Certainly none of them thought this was going to happen. 
And probably none of them were considering His toes. 

(except maybe that upward-looking guy on the far left edge of the piece...)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to send your thoughts my way. I love to hear from you!