8.17.2012

Hovering


"In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. The earth was without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters. And God said, 'Let there be light,' and there was light." 


Last Sunday in JBQ class, Genesis 1:1 was our text for a ten-point quotation question:
"Where did the universe come from?"
From there, we went on to explore three twenty-point questions about creation:
What part did God the Father have in creation? 
God the Father gave the commands that caused the visible world to be created out of nothing.
What part did Jesus have in creation? 
"Through Him all things were made; without Him nothing was made that has been made." John 1:3
What part did the Holy Spirit have in creation? 
The Spirit hovered over the waters.


Trying to help the children to grasp the Trinity in action on the First Day was a challenge. Trying to grasp it for myself is next to impossible! Sometimes I feel like my understandings of deep spiritual things are about as sturdy as those ultra-thin spider web strands that float around in the warm fall air. The ones that seem to drift over your face from out of nowhere and cling on with nearly invisible delicate determination? 
Listen, I'm no theological expert over here, but ...


... I think creation is still happening! 
I know, all of creation is in place, and it was all finished in six days. But isn't His creative dynamic is still sweeping through, bringing NEW from patches of 'formless and void' nothingness? We see it every time we peer into an ultrasound display in a darkened room - new life! Every spring - regeneration! At crowded altars on Sunday mornings - new creation!

So I've added that first paragraph of Genesis to my prayer time. Praying that the Holy Spirit will be present, THANKING Him that He is present - hovering over the formless places in my life, in the lives of my family, in the lives of those I love who don't love Him - yet

That the voids and the darknesses, of various kinds, in all of us, would be covered with a generous blanket of Holy Spirit in preparation for what is coming next - whatever the Father wills to command. 

I've been praying that the Holy Spirit would hover, just as He did on that First Day, so that when the Father issues those commands - we would leap forward in joyful response! Praying that through the finished work of Jesus, the preparatory hovering of the Spirit, and the commands of the Father, we would burst forth to serve our ordained purposes (Eph 2:10) and bring glory to God (1 Cor 6:20).

                                                      Will you join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to send your thoughts my way. I love to hear from you!