10.21.2012

Twenty


Twenty Years Ago I became a mother.
It was a long day. 
We got to the hospital at about 7 a.m. and our first son didn't show up until almost midnight.

Lots of transforming incidents during those hours: 
* an enema witnessed by the brother-in-law who shouldn't have
* 1960's baby photos flung about by well-meaning grandmothers
* a gathering at the foot of my bed attended by 'everyone on the 
floor who hasn't seen your bottom yet
* drowning labor pains followed by blissful epidural numbness
* learning that operating rooms are very, very cold
* seeing my husband dressed in scrubs

Memorable Quotes:
- "Is it time for my epidural yet? Now? How about now?"
 "Is it supposed to hurt this bad?"
"I think everyone in the maternity unit has seen my bottom!"
"Let's not strap my arms down ..."
"He's so beautiful!"
  - "There are tears in my ears."
 - "It's his birthday! Everybody bring presents!"
"He looks just like his dad!"







1 comment:

  1. I hope that 20 years from now I still remember everything.

    What a fun post!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to send your thoughts my way. I love to hear from you!