12.21.2010

Peace

*I heard the bells on Christmas day
Their old familiar carols play,
And wild and sweet the words repeat
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

And in despair I bowed my head
“There is no peace on earth,” I said,
“For hate is strong and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men.”

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
“God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
With peace on earth, good will to men.”

Pardon me if I don't blithely blog about Christmas this year. Christmas is hard. I'm at a place to admit it, finally. It's been hard for a while now, but I've been better at pretending. But, maybe it's just better to admit and move on --- Christmas is hard. It wasn't in other years, and I'm hoping for better in years to come. Actually, I'm quite the slow learner, and it's taken a few years like this to pound me down enough to admit the truth and join The Many for whom the season is not all calm nor all bright. Yesterday, thinking about the lack of cheer this season, I remembered that hard times in the past have drawn me closer to the Savior, if I allowed them to do so. I've been trying to overcome adversity and make it The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year on my own steam, and am ready to admit that I can't do it. I'm ready to turn to Him and allow Him to be my Christmas Celebration. It's the only way to gain some real Peace on Earth.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to send your thoughts my way. I love to hear from you!