2.01.2019

Bleak January

Bleak January is one of the best parts of the year. 
After the often-clamorous Christmas season ended, the first month of 2019 
had a solemn, spare beauty that I truly enjoyed. 
Our small acre has no single hint of green—
in fact, it's been dusted in white all month.

Except in my windowsill. That's where the action is.
For less than the cost of a hot coconut milk mocha macchiato, I'm enjoying just 
enough spring to hold me over until the real thing arrives. 
Thank you, Aldi.

The packaging on this, the LAST amaryllis bulb in the store, just said
"amaryllis bulb."
yawn
But, friends, I know it must be a Red Lion Amaryllis, even though I haven't 
seen its face yet. I'll let you know what it turns out to be.
Those tiny leaf blades just peeking out prove that this one has barely begun its work.


Clearance hyacinth bulbs in glass vases were already messy looking with flopping, 
heavy blooms. I chose the best one and pinched off the frowzy 
blooms in the paper goods aisle because two new bud stems were 
already emerging. An observant fellow shopper took the time to point 
out that the bulb I'd chosen had broken blooms. 
Wasn't that kind? 
She did look shocked to hear I was the one who'd done it. 

Isn't it a wonder that the tissue-like paper on the bulb matches the bloom? 

In Kentucky, February brings hints of true spring. Glimpses of green 
will soon dazzle now that austere January is over for another year. 

I believe it's the same change of seasons referred to in 
that great song of songs

"Behold, the winter is past ... "



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to send your thoughts my way. I love to hear from you!