12.10.2008

The Hidden Angel

1 Corinthians 13:12 "For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known."

Each of our sons has an angel ornament for the Christmas tree. The year of their birth is written in permanent marker on the feet, bum or wing of their angel and each is playing a different musical instrument. Every year when it's tree trimming time, they look for their personal angel to put on the tree. Even if it's the ONLY ornament they decide to participate with, they search out these.  

We were all expecting a new baby to come to our family way back in 1998, with a predicted birth date of December 26!  What an exciting due date!  I was thrilled when given this date by the OB! But in the summer, this little one flew away to heaven early, and we didn't meet him that Christmas ten years ago now.  I can't believe such a terribly painful thing, one of the great trials of my life and faith, can fit into one sentence.  It takes up hardly any room at all on the screen!  Amazing.

When Christmas finally came in 1998, we needed some way to include the wee person who now made heaven such a longed-for place.  So I bought this tiny angel to represent him. Every year, one of us, usually me, finds her and wedges her inside the tree branches.  Whoever cares for the special angel ornament says something like, "Here's the Hidden Angel!  We'll see him someday!" The announcement somehow keeps Our Hidden Child's place. She's hidden from us, by the branches of the tree, by the bounds of this world, but we really will meet her someday. I like to pretend that the little angel can watch us from the cozy, safe inside of the tree. Maybe our son or daughter looks down on us occasionally, too - safe and sound in the Savior's arms!  


6 comments:

  1. I didn't know you were due at Christmas. I, too, was due December 26th. That's how we chose to name the baby Kris. Because (in order of importance) 1) we could name him/her after krissy, 2) it's gender neutral, and 3) it would be like Kris Kringle! :o)

    Thanks so much for sharing your heart! Love the ornament idea. Someone gave me a piece of jewelry that I treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really neat, especially from the perspective of someone 10 years removed from it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too hard to find words to comment on this sweet sentiment. Feels like yesterday that we mourned the loss and we are still celebrating that you've got one with Jesus. Much love, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet, sweet, post, Sweet Annabelle! This touches me for many reasons.

    1. I've lost my parents, and the way you say "it makes heaven such a longed-for place" is perfect.

    2. To be amazed that telling about the loss of your child can fit into one sentence hits so close to home...I have never lost a child, but again, my parents and brother are gone. The pain is still so deep.

    2. As children, we also had our 3wn individual ornaments that my mom would put on the tree and then we would search for. After she passed away, we had an estate sale and hid the "ornament" box in the garage. Unfortunately, after the sale was over, the box was gone, and ALL of the ornaments that meant so much to us children growing up were gone. Poof. I have such fond memories of our ornaments, as will your children, I'm sure.

    Thank you for your comment on my blog and God Bless you this Christmas season!!!!

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to send your thoughts my way. I love to hear from you!