1.10.2009

I'm an Eye Roller

It's true. My feelings come right to the surface, immediately, and display themselves on my face. I've always wanted to be one of those cool and casual women, who seem to be perfectly in control of their emotions at all times. But I can't - I'm not. Even in my own kitchen with no one around, I find myself reacting to the radio announcer, the audiobook, whatever, with hand and/or facial gestures. Yes, sometimes both...and it's not pretty. At the grocery store, I feel my face making what I imagine to be the most ridiculous expressions of surprise, disgust, or pleasure. It happens before I can stop it, even though I know how bizarre it must look. If it was only appearing odd in public to perfect strangers, I could adjust to that. Or only being "expressive" in the privacy of my own kitchen - that would be OK. But this really does matter when having conversations with people whom I am not eager to offend. Or those who I wish would think me more mature than I am.   Or others who share shocking stories which they don't know ARE shocking until my face clues them in.

You can only imagine how I drive...maybe you'd better not.

3 comments:

  1. It's one of the things I count on! I am going to be able to read your face as soon as someone says something "interesting". It makes me laugh very hard just to think of it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're hilarious. I wish I could run into you in a grocery store. :)

    Thanks for popping into my blog occasionally...glad to have you! :)

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm keeping my eyes glued to your face next time I see you. You know, like once a year?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to send your thoughts my way. I love to hear from you!