2.13.2009

Beloved Sisters in Christ

I love my Domino Ladies!  I've been going to play dominoes once a month at My Dear Friend's house for several years. I took My Youngest there as a nursing babe to be held and bounced by women who were not exhausted and thought him crying was an adorable sight. They've given me feedback on schooling issues, food questions, teen weirdness and marriage quirks. We've sung hymns, studied scripture, reviewed books and discussed the merits of folding underwear. I love that they will give the hard advice if you ask for it, and always in loving kindness. Around the table, we've prayed, laughed, cried, debated, consoled, then laughed some more. Some of the funniest stories I've ever heard have been given at that table covered with dominoes! They are truly my Beloved Sisters in Christ! Last night, the Dove chocolate went around - each chocolate has a clever saying on the inside (which some people add to...tsk, tsk). Anyway, the wrappers were smoothed out, turned over, and each of  us picked one to take home as a parting 'word'. This is the one I came home with. My Husband approved. 

The recipes for the cookies was requested, so here it is:
(side story on the cookies - only available for those who were there)

Church U' God Sugar Cookies
2 3/4 c. flour
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1 1/2 sticks butter
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla
Cream butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Sift flour, baking powder and salt, then combine with wet mixture until a stiff dough is formed. Chill for 2 hours, then roll and cut. Bake 6 or 7 minutes at 375 degrees. Bake only until set, not brown. (Icing - about one pound of powdered sugar, lump of butter or marg., add milk to desired consistency)

3 comments:

  1. Ah, the happiest thoughts about these cookies and these friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dream of being a real domino lady someday. I'd like to be like you though and be invited to a group where I'm the youngest so I can just listen and learn. :-) (and bring fussy babies)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoy your blog!

    My mother in law (Donna) goes to Domino Night. She's always a bit mysterious about it. My husband and I think it's a secret society or something.

    The cookies look great. Anything with that much butter is bound to be delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to send your thoughts my way. I love to hear from you!