5.12.2009

Summer Teepees

My Dear Husband set up these branch teepees for me this season. I was so excited that I found myself clapping as I followed behind him and My Youngest, who was helping. These sturdy and TALL frames will hold beautiful vines which are my favorite flower of the summer season. I've already got some Heavenly Blue Morning Glory seedlings going on this one, which will be easy to see right outside my kitchen window.  I've got these starts from a seed packet from last year that I kept, and I'm waiting for some sprouts from some seeds that come out of a very old HBMG packet. The artwork is so lovely on those really old seed packets! I'm also considering sending some apple gourds up this one also, since it's such a strong frame.

But check out this bad boy in the far flower beds!  This teepee is at least 15 feet tall! I'm planning to send hyacinth bean vine up this one, and maybe some miniature bottle gourds. If I can get them to sprout - no luck in this last year. The seeds were given to me by an old fellow at an antique show in Shaker Village. What a dear man, he gave me seeds for miniature bottles and for wrinkly gourds, too. His wife didn't want him giving things away, but I'm afraid I was glad to get them anyway! 

I don't have a place for these this year, because of the gourds, but thought you  might enjoy the photo.  This morning glory is called "Flying Saucer".  
Love plant names!

I always thought it would be wonderful to set up a teepee, covered with vines, that the boys could use as a real hide-out. Never did it, though! See one made for children with hyacinth bean vine - here.

3 comments:

  1. Dora would live in a fort like that! Is it hard to do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not at all hard. Just find the poles, bury them a little bit so it doesn't topple loose, and lash the tops tightly. The hardest part is keeping the rabbits from eating off the tops of the vines until they grow tall!

    Let me know if you build one for her - how exciting!

    s

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool are the teepees!
    Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to send your thoughts my way. I love to hear from you!