8.08.2009

Basement Beetle

My husband found this beetle crawling across our basement floor. 

Yes. It. Was.

That's My Youngest's hand there to help demonstrate size - it's HUGE. What the heck is that?!?!?

Our basement is what we lovingly refer to as "the dungeon" and houses the washer/dryer and the dry goods shelves. Once I was sure I found what I believed to be snake poo in our basement, and I refused to go down there for a few months. Not even to do the laundry...

I don't ever find the creatures that my husband does down there. Giant spiders, unidentifiable centipede thing-y insects, and now - this enormous beetle.  Maybe I never spot them because I'm deliberately squinting so I can't see as clearly as I might. Maybe the Good Lord is keeping my husband from enduring another basement strike on my part. But I think I'd have been able to hear this one crawling or, ugh, flying nearby. 

The obvious next question:  Is it a mama? 

7 comments:

  1. Ugh. I think I had heart palpitations for you when I saw that.

    In our old house, we did have a snake (not just droppings, but an actual live snake that stood up and greeted Ben when he walked into the laundry room once). We also had rats down there (okay .. one that we found, but there had to be others). Countless mice. A train of ants. The worst was the raccoon who lived inside of the walls for months. Once, in the middle of the night, it gave birth to more raccoons and they all lived there, in the walls.

    Anyway. When we began talking about moving, my only requirement was, "Let's find a house on a slab. No basement."

    You can bring your laundry over here if times get tough. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK - that basement story kills mine ... and makes me grateful! Raccoons in the WALLS?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. My. Word. That thing is ginormous! When I was a kid I heard something scattering across our basement linoleum floor on the opposite side of the basement as I was watching TV. It was a HUGE spider. I think that was my last time in that basement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!
    I would faint if I saw that thing in my basement! I would MUCH rather see a snake!
    I won't ever be visiting your basement. sorry. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would never go to the basement again if I knew there might be another of those down there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, it is called a Hercules..sp? beetle. I know this only because my daughter got one for a bug collection....thank God she did not find it anywhere NEAR our house or I would have had to move and I reallllly like my house!! My daughter "traded" her beetle in at the zoo for some really freaky SKULL!!! Hellllooo....did I tell you that I have NO BOYS? I think she is a he in sheeps wool....ewwwwwww.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to send your thoughts my way. I love to hear from you!