12.15.2009

Tree of Dreams


This is the year! I got the tree of my Christmas dreams - a Douglas Fir. Homeschoolers that we are, we did a complete history on the Douglas Fir. I know you're fascinated, too, so click here to become more educated about fir trees. Isn't that dorky, MFSIL? Our Christmas tree farm adventures of the past several years were waylaid as the farm was not open for business this season after many years serving the local area. Our kids practically grew up going there, so we were disappointed not to make that annual pilgrimage. Not me, since I don't really enjoy the tramping up and down Kentucky hills, having discussions (arguments) over skinny vs. fat trees. I vote skinny, of course, but they all want fat, enormous trees. With our tree farm not available for visiting, the men set off to find another. No such luck, and so they went to Lowe's, where they have wonderful skinny Douglas Firs every year, which I long for. Yippee! All the men returned in semi-defeat, having not SAWN something down, only having checked through a cashier's line. It was hard for me not to clap my hands and hoot with glee!

3 comments:

  1. ha! We always either get our tree from Ben's sister and brother in law's Christmas tree farm in the UP of Michigan (too far now with the babes) or at a nearby, family-owned nursery. But this year, we ended up at Lowe's, too. Finally, we have a normal sized tree that Ben won't have to take apart limb by limb to get it out of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see it decorated. Thanks for the history lesson on the Douglas Fir. I've gone out and sawn down Red Spruce the last few years, but I might switch to a more traditional tree than the Charlie Brown Christmas tree (which this one most definitely turned into!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I remember the year of transition to Lowe's trees very well.
    It is a lovely tall, skinny tree!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to send your thoughts my way. I love to hear from you!