1.20.2013

Holiday Art


When faced with paying admission to a local greenhouse/conservatory
which has always been free,
one of my sons said, "Let's go to the art museum instead!"
REALLY
I had a thrill of surprised satisfaction, but replied, "Sure, if you guys want to."
In the most nonchalant way possible, of course - as if I wasn't excited at all.
And we spent about ninety minutes wandering through galleries, laughing and pointing.
Quizzing the chair sitters* and averting our eyes from 'excessive' immodesty displayed by marble figures.
And that became one of my favorite Christmas memories.
*****
WHAT are those museum employees called anyway? Those who sit on tall chairs, equipped with walkie-talkies and spiffy jacket uniforms. Are they Guards? They don't seem to be Guides, since they also seemed puzzled about the special display of spit art. Are they Monitors - they warn you to step back when you get too close.   I know this.   Insomniacs definitely - who else could possibly stay
awake in a silent, empty room filled with antique art? Maybe there's some sort of contest going on, 
but I've never been able to sneak up on one nodding off ...




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to send your thoughts my way. I love to hear from you!