3.11.2016

It's Happening Again


Spring plants stretch from damp dirt and toss their heads in the breeze.

 Weak rays of sunshine penetrate nearly-transparent peony leaves. *

Red-winged blackbirds are first to announce—SPRING IS HERE! 


Side Note -
My neighbor, an elderly spinster lady, passed away last year. In the late fall, her brother invited me to take her peonies plants.
"She set such store by those, but we don't care about 'em." 
I just nodded, but, oh, I felt the horror my neighbor would have experienced at the lowly description of her prized "pie-knees". So, shovel and containers in hand, my Wonderful Husband and I began a search-and-rescue mission. It's not easy to find dried-up peony branches under a carpet of fall leaves and pine needles. We brought three clumps back to our yard, and I broke those into even more parts. I thought it might be too late to set these in the ground and have any chance of seeing them in the spring, but in her honor, I tagged each clump of tubers with her name.
And they're coming up! I know she'd be pleased.






2 comments:

  1. Oh how wonderful that you rescued your neighbors plants! When my Grandparents passed away last year and their house was going to be put on the market my Dad let my daughter and I rescue a few of their plants and it is such a joy to see them springing to life. A gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mindy, so glad to see you here. Those plants - they're like a living memorial, aren't they? Love that you have some of your grandparent's.

    Blessings,

    Susan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to send your thoughts my way. I love to hear from you!