10.15.2009

"Swift Transition"

I don't like change. I don't even move the furniture around. During my career as a classroom teacher, our teaching team adopted a year-long theme of "Change" - I found that to be uncomfortable, too. But, as the saying goes, "Change is the only constant!"

The first time I heard this song, I was driving to a OB appointment, about to burst with my first son. I had recently quit my teaching job and was trying to adjust to the overwhelming change of leaving that behind to become a full time mom. Hormones raging wildly, this song gave me a reassuring word, and I rewound my little cassette tape to listen to it over and over. Blew out two of these cassettes (Under Their Influence by Russ Taff), and finally bought a CD from ebay.

While listening to my iPod this week, this song came up and the words touched me especially again. My life is especially filled with "swift transition" right now, and it's giving me a few (figurative) hives and kinks. I listened to it a few times and grabbed onto His unchanging hand a little more tightly. Thought to post it here for you - sure would like to let you hear ol' Russ sing it, but I can't find a link for you that doesn't have Bill Gaither involved somehow! Enjoy these lyrics!

Time is filled with swift transition
Not of earth unmoved can stand
Build your hopes on things eternal
And hold to God's unchanging hand

Trust in Him who will not leave you
Whatsoever years may bring
If by earthly friend forsaken
Still more closely to Him cling

Chorus:
Hold to God's unchanging hand
Hold to God's unchanging hand
Build your hopes on things eternal
Hold to God's unchanging hand

When your journey here is ended
If to God you have been true
Fair and bright your home in glory
Your enraptured soul will view



2 comments:

  1. Wow...these are such great thoughts. I love change like moving the furniture...but the big things...not so much. It's stressful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like some things to change and some to stay the same - but sometimes I think it would be nice if I got to pick which did which! I just put my hand in His and He chooses much better than I ever could.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to send your thoughts my way. I love to hear from you!