10.26.2018

Toadstool Surprise


Someday when you're out walking your combo dog* on a crisp fall day,
you might see one of these ordinary brown toadstools.
It happened to me. 

When I stooped to see a bit better, tiny light-sparkles bounced from micro-thin
spider strands stretched across the cap.  
What a clever decoration!

From bended knees, I peeked farther under the cap to see sunshine-lit gills.
This often despised-sprout looked more and more like a welcoming shelter.

And from a ground-level view (belly)—what an impressive structure! 
The perfect place for tiny folk to relax on a sunny fall afternoon. 

At least it was ... until my combo dog rushed back to see what was so interesting. 
Turns out toadstools are delicate, not dog-proof at all. 
Back to walking. 

* What's a combo dog?
That's what you get when you adopt a puppy from the local animal rescue people. 
They tell you it's a Labrador retriever, but it turns out to be a
beagle-y, Australian shepherd-ish, terrier-type of mutt. 
A cute, smart, adorable one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to send your thoughts my way. I love to hear from you!