11.01.2019

Bare Bushes

It's time to call it quits in the garden. 

Here on my one Kentucky acre, we've had drought conditions until just 
about two weeks ago. My container plants got just too shabby 
in the dry heat...so I fixed them. 

"Look at this," I said to my patient husband. "I fixed the container plants."
"You sure did," he agreed and took a few steps back.
Because, friends, I pulled them all up and threw their spindly stems
and crispy blooms in the firepit. What a relief! 
I plopped gourds and pumpkins in the empty containers—no watering needed. 

When we finally got a little rain, all the garden plants went back to work, 
creating new leaves and blooms. 
Look at this cypress vine, so cheerful in the summer-like heat.

Then this week on Monday, fall arrived. 
We've had a one-week color change with all the wonder of a true fall compressed 
into just a few days. Yesterday's wind and rain moved the color party to the ground.

Last night we swerved around another seasonal corner as temperatures dropped below freezing. 
I had time to save these beautiful blues, and a few zinnias, 
from the first killing frost.

The bushes are bare, but my windowsills are filled with vases of color. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to send your thoughts my way. I love to hear from you!