1.28.2020

Greenhouse Dreams


In January, the greenhouse sleeps while I dream 
of sturdy basil leaves, fragrant sage, and lemony thyme. 
Pie birds sing praise of kelly-green days just over the horizon of seasons. 

Baskets of pine cones vie for attention, offering their timely 
 gift of sticky, scented sap. They demand recognition as one of 
winter's finest features. 

My greenhouse gnome is the portrait of calm patience, 
both hands folded neatly away–no work today.
His scarlet glass hat sits straight and tight with no hint of yearning for spring. 

But many days find me leaning on potting benches, 
rearranging watering cans, and browsing seed packets–
dreaming my greenhouse dreams.

Hurry, Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to send your thoughts my way. I love to hear from you!